Robert Harvey, director of transportation, Wilson County Schools
- Gail Baker, transportation coordinator, Wilson County Schools
- Bennie Boykin, sergeant, Wilson Police Department
- Justin Cox, officer, Wilson Police Department
- Rodney Dancy, community preparedness coordinator, Emergency Management
- Ben Mercer, captain, Wilson County Sheriff's Department
- Michelle Royal Mulvihill, Region 7 Community Transformation Grant
Goals and Objectives
- Improve the safety of all modes of public school transportation within Wilson County
- Improve communication and collaboration between law enforcement, Department of Transportation, Emergency Management, City and County Planning and Wilson County Schools
- Inform and educate the public regarding transportation issues such as the North Carolina Stop Arm Law, Web Query, the selection process for emergency evacuation sites, bus stop issues, reduced speed limits in school zones/times and more
- Identify resources to meet transportation needs for health and wellness and to support out of school time opportunities for youth
- Plan and practice for emergency evacuations and other crisis situations at all Wilson County public schools
- Train bus drivers to recognize and intervene appropriately when specific bullying issues occur on school buses
Transportation Safety Issues and Concerns
- Improving traffic control and congestion issues at New Hope, Rock Ridge, Vinson-Bynum and Winstead elementary schools, Forest Hill Middle and Fike and Hunt high schools
- Improving pedestrian and bicycle safety
- Addressing sidewalk safety issues and proper crossing guard placement
- Improving safety of loading zones for regular school buses, special needs school buses, daycare vans/buses and car riders
- Developing strategies for reducing stop-arm violations and speeding in school zones
- Ensuring school bus parking lot security
- Developing a process for recruiting and retaining quality school bus drivers and monitors
- Improving communication channels between Wilson County Schools and the public by utilizing the district webpage, Facebook, newspaper, WCS TV-22, automated phone calls and more
School Zone Speed Limits
Please remember to adhere to the reduced speed limit postings in school zones at the following times:
Elementary school zone: Mon. - Fri., 7:30-8:30 a.m. and 2:30-3:30 p.m.
Middle school zone: Mon. - Fri., 8-9 a.m. and 3-4 p.m.
High school zone: Mon. - Fri., 7-8 a.m. and 2-3 p.m.
Questions or Concerns?
If you have a question or concern regarding transportation relating to safety and security, please call or email Robert Harvey at (252) 399-7835 or via email at email@example.com.
|Copyright © 2017 Wilson County Schools