skip to main content
Meal Application Information
Related Documents:
Application - Based on Income
Application - Food Stamps
Application - Migrant, Homeless, Runaway, Head Start and Foster


Click the image or here to complete an online meal application form for the 2017-2018 school year. 



Frequently Asked Questions about the Meal Application Process 

What is is an online meal application system where families can apply for free and reduced meals. Each application will be sent from a secure website directly to School Nutrition Services.

When will be available?
After Aug. 3, any parent or guardian may apply online. 

Can meal application forms still be completed using the traditional paper form?
Yes. However, no paper application forms will be available at the schools. Paper applications will only be available at the main School Nutrition Office (519 Ward Blvd. Building 8A behind the bus/maintenance warehouse). 

I have child(ren) in elementary and certain middle schools that will be receiving meals at no cost due to the CEP provision. I also have child(ren) at non-CEP schools.  Do I still need to complete a meal application form?
Yes. If a student has a sibling at a CEP school, the parent or guardian will have to complete a meal application form and include all individuals living in the household, including the CEP student(s) on the application.  Please know that once a meal application is processed and approved, your CEP child will receive meals at no cost while your non-CEP child may qualify for meals at the free, reduced or denied status.

Do I have to submit a free/reduced meal application each year?
Yes. Federal guidelines require a new application each year for all non-CEP students. (There are exceptions for students who are directly certified through the Wilson County Department of Social Services.)

On the first school day, will my child’s meal status be the same as the previous school year?
Yes. The previous school year meal status will be honored until October 10, 2017.  If, on the morning of Oct 11 an application has not been completed and processed, your child’s meal status will automatically change to a paid status and he/she will be required to pay for his/her meals.   

Do I need to fill out an application for each child?
You only need to complete one (1) application form for all students in your household. 

If I do not qualify now, may I apply later?
Yes. You may apply at any time during the school year if your household size goes up, income goes down, or if you start receiving Food and Nutrition Services (FNS, formerly Food Stamps) or start receiving TANF or other benefits. If you lose your job, your children may qualify for free or reduced priced meals. 

What is direct certification?
Under direct certification, school districts use information from state welfare or food stamp offices to certify children to receive free meals. To qualify, the children's families must receive food stamps, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families or assistance from the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations. The purpose of direct certification is designed primarily to improve National School Lunch Program access and administrative efficiency.

How do I know if my child is directly certified?
You will receive a letter from the School Nutrition Office stating your child has been directly certified for free meals. If you received a letter, you do not have to complete an application form.  

Will the information I give be checked?
Yes. You may be asked to send written proof of your household income, size and other requested documents. On an annual basis, we are required by federal regulations to randomly pull a small percentage of the approved free and reduced applications and request documentation from the parents/ guardians. 

ay I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen?
Yes. You or your child do not have to be a US citizen to qualify for free or reduced price meals. 

We are in the military. Do we include our housing allowance as income?
If your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income. All other allowances must be included in your gross income.

My spouse is deployed to a combat zone
Is his/her combat pay counted as income? 
No. If the combat pay is received in addition to his/her basic pay because of his/her deployment and it wasn’t received before being deployed, combat pay is not counted as income. 

What if I disagree with the school’s decision about my application?
We ask that you first speak with the Meal Application Specialist at (252) 399-7849. If you are still not satisfied with the decision, you may then ask for a hearing by calling (252)399-7741 or writing to: Glen Davis, Executive Director of Administrative Services, PO Box 2048, Wilson, NC 27894.

Copyright © 2018 Wilson County Schools SCHOOLinSITES Logo
Wilson County Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, marital or parental status, in admission, to access, to treatment in its programs and activities. This website endeavors to comply with best practices and standards defined by Section 508 of the U.S. Rehabilitation Act. If you are having accessibility concerns, please contact us at 252-399-7712