For all families with incoming kindergartners and first-graders: WCS offers Spanish Immersion at Elm City and Wells Elementary Schools. Spanish Immersion is open to all incoming kindergarten and first-grade students in the district. Students from other schools enroll and become students at those schools. In a Spanish Immersion classroom, students spend the entire school day and school year learning to speak, read and write in both Spanish and English. The program continues each year.
* Nearly 40 years of research has shown that immersion students score significantly higher on standardized tests than non-immersion students.
* Knowing how to speak a second language will make it easier to learn a third language.
* Using language in a variety of subjects increases students’ flexibility with the language.
* Students well-versed in a second culture are less likely to make mistakes or have cultural misunderstandings when traveling and working in a different country.
* Brain scans performed on people who have strong second- and third-language skills show that more parts of their brain are active than the typical brain of people who only speak one language.
* Many large, international companies will not even consider a potential employee for a job unless they are able to communicate with ease in at least two languages.
What is Spanish Immersion?
Spanish Immersion is an exciting program where students are taught by a bilingual teacher who teaches the majority of the day using the Spanish language. Students learn to speak, understand, read and write in Spanish as well as in English. The program begins in kindergarten and students continue through fifth grade. Spanish will also be offered to the students when they reach middle and high school.
What Are the Benefits for Students?
¨ Become bilingual and biliterate
¨ Gain exposure to other cultures and languages
¨ Improve self-esteem
¨ Excel academically
¨ Enjoy career advantages
¨ Prepare to meet the challenges of a global society
Is this Program Right for My Child?
¨ Do you value bilingualism and diversity and want your child to be challenged?
¨ Does your child have a strong foundation in English?
¨ Do you want your child to have an edge in tomorrow’s market economy?
¨ Are you willing to make a long-term commitment to the program?
“My son is not merely learning Spanish but becoming bilingual. He already refers to his two languages and speaks of his desire to learn a third once he has mastered Spanish. The teachers in this program are caring, compassionate and enthusiastic. They treat each child as an individual and are focused on their needs.”