Beginning Teacher Support Program
Wilson County Schools is committed to providing a superior level of support for its beginning teachers. We provide continuous support to our beginning teachers through one-on-one mentoring at the school level. We also provide assistance through district-level group meetings and staff development. Our program is comprehensive and includes a mentor component, orientation, induction activities and targeted training. For questions or information, contact Human Resource Coordinator for Beginning Teacher Support Sherri Jernigan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Beginning Teacher Support Program (BTSP) is a three-year period of support and assessment for novice teachers. At the end of this period, the teacher is granted or denied a Continuing License based on the following criteria:
- The individual must have three years of successful teaching experience, at least one of which is in North Carolina.
- The individual must have the school district's recommendation.
- The individual must complete a minimum of 12 beginning teacher activities prescribed by the school district.
- The individual must be deemed at least proficient in all standards on the summary rating in order to be recommended for an Continuing License. If a Continuing License is granted, it is issued with a five-year renewal cycle.
- NC Teacher Evaluation Process Guide
- WCS Board of Education Policy Manual
The Wilson County Board of Education is in the process of revising its policy manual. During the revision process, the Board will maintain two policy manuals. The Old Policy Manual will contain policies adopted prior to June 2017. The New Policy Manual contains policies adopted in June 2017 or later. As new policies are adopted and added to the New Policy Manual, the policies that are being replaced will be removed from the Old Policy Manual.