We are excited to welcome your kindergartner to Wilson County Schools! Parents with children who will be five years old on or before Aug. 31 should register their child during districtwide Kindergarten Registration in March. We will share more information about that process in February. During Kindergarten Registration, you will enroll your child at the elementary school serving the attendance zone in which you reside. If you need assistance in determining which school your child will be attending, visit the WebQuery School Zone site or contact the WCS Transportation Department at 399-7837.
Wilson County Schools also offers a Spanish Immersion Program at Frederick Douglass ES. Parents interested in enrolling their kindergartner in this program will sign up in March during districtwide Kindergarten Registration. We will share more information about that process in February. Parents who are interested in Spanish Immersion would still register their child at the elementary school serving the attendance zone in which they reside. More information found here - Spanish Immersion Program Information.
Required Kindergarten Registration Documents
- Immunization record printed from the doctor's office. More information about immunizations can be found here - Immunization Information.
- Certified Birth Certificate* - If not available, any of the following are acceptable: Hospital Certificate, Physician's Certificate, Midwife Certificate, Religious Record (from a mosque, temple, church or other religious institution), Baptismal or Church Certificate, Entry in Family Bible, Family Record, Parent's Affidavit, Emancipated Youth's Statement, School Record, Immigration or Naturalization Document, Life Insurance Policy, Passport, Census Record Custody papers (if applicable)
- Two of the approved proofs of residency listed below:
- Property tax records which indicate the street or road address location of the residence
- Copies of the mortgage documents or copies of deed to property which indicate the street or road address of the property
- Copy of the residential lease showing street or road address
- Copy of utility bill showing residence address (electric, gas, water or cable)
- Copy of current driver’s license showing street or road address
- Copy of voter registration form showing street or road residence address
- Copy of automobile registration showing street or road address
*Certified birth certificates may be obtained by writing the Vital Records Branch, 1903 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699, by calling 919-733-3526, or by visiting the Vital Records Branch at 225 North McDowell Street (at the corner of Lane and McDowell). They may also be obtained from the Register of Deeds office in the county of the child’s birth. The charge for a certified birth certificate is $10.00 per copy from the Register of Deeds and $24.00 from the Vital Records Branch.
Required Kindergarten Registration Forms
Certain forms are needed to enroll a child in school. These forms can be filled out online by clicking here. Or you can print and fill out the form listed here - Registration Forms. You can also pickup the forms at the school and fill them out. Please note that the Health Assessment Transmittal Form must be filled out by the child's doctor. Health assessments must be completed by the first 30 days of school. State law also requires immunizations for all children enrolling in kindergarten or first grade for the first time. As mentioned above, you will also need to provide a copy of your child's immunizations. More information about immunizations can be found here - Immunization Information.