OVERVIEW OF THE GENTLEMEN'S AGREEMENT
The Gentlemen’s Agreement is an achievement program that began in the fall of 2015. The program targets African American, high school males with the intent of offering them personalized support from freshmen year to high school graduation. The program was recently expanded to include middle and elementary students. The students in the program are surrounded with positive outlets that affirm and celebrate who they are as talented, gifted and contributing members of the community, including a mentor. The affirmation enhances their self perception so now they can determine who they are and what they can become - rather than having society define their value and their worth. The objective of the program is to adequately equip these young men with the tools needed to secure viable employment and create entrepreneurial opportunities for themselves, while at the same time ensuring they are driven by high moral and ethical values. In short, the program aims to aid the young men in becoming gentlemen. WRAL spotlighted the program on Education Matters on June 30, 2018 - click here for the video clip.
The 2018-2019 school year represented the fourth year of the Gentlemen's Agreement and the first graduating class of young men completed the program. Since the program's inception, the students have made tremendous strides academically, interpersonally, socially and culturally. Some of the activities the students have been involved in included:
- Campus tours of various colleges throughout the state including Barton College, Wilson Community College College, North Carolina Central University and Duke University
- Team building exercises such as completing the Low Ropes Course at the Eastern North Carolina School for the Deaf
- Cultural Enrichment Trips including traveling to the Durham Performing Arts Center to see The Lion King (2016), a tour of Washington, DC and the National African American Museum of History & Culture (2017) and a tour of Atlanta, GA and the Martin Luther King, Jr. Center (2018)
- Summer Enrichment Camps with sports activities and field trips
- Financial Literacy Workshops
- Volunteering for Operation Backpack and the Wilson County Schools Job Fair
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
- If you would like to become a mentor for one of the students, click here.
- If you are an African American, high school male who would like to be a part of the Gentlemen's Agreement, click here.
If you would like to support the program financially, click here.
- For more information, contact Mr. Barnes at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Overview of Gentlemen's Agreement narrated by Alice Freeman -
2019 Awards Program on May 9, 2019 - https://youtu.be/ijYkRusUPEM
WRAL Education Matters on June 30, 2018 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHwlZWwEye0&feature=em-share_video_user
Trip to Atlanta, GA to tour sites celebrating Martin Luther King, Jr. on March 6, 2018 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwT20mCi_GU&feature=youtu.be
Trip to Washington, DC on April 10, 2017 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXgswBIVAIs
Compilation Video of Events in 2017 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmdEZJKYejc