I am ecstatic to be going into my second year as the physical education teacher at Jones Elementary this school year! I recently graduated from East Carolina University where I obtained a Bachelor of Science in Physical Education degree. This year is going to be full of learning and fun in PE. I am looking forward to meeting everyone and getting this year started out on the right foot.
Jones Elementary Physical Education
The K-5 Physical Education program at Jones Elementary is an integral part of the total education experience. The specific and unique function of Physical Education is the development of physically,mentally, emotionally and socially fit students through the medium of physical activity. A well-balanced program will offer students the opportunity to develop an acceptable level of fitness, a broad spectrum of physical skills,and the knowledge necessary to use these skills and maintain fitness for a lifetime of active participation.
PE Lesson Format and Grading
The daily lesson plan is broken down into three major areas.In each of these areas we include activities that develop skills and concentrate on elements that coincide with each other.
- Fitness/Warm up (8-10 min.) - During the fitness portion of the lesson, the students will develop qualities of physical fitness – strength, flexibility, and cardio. This activity will also prepare the students for the lesson focus.
- Introduction of activity (8-10 min.) - Students engage in active learning for the lesson focus.
- Lesson Focus (25-30 min.) - The purpose is to carry out the objectives of the Physical Education program.
- Clothing: In the interest of safety, tennis shoes are to be worn on PE days. Shoelaces must be tightened and tied, not tucked. Sandals/flip flops/boots are not permitted. Girls should wear shorts underneath dresses or skirts. Please have your child dress in comfortable and functional clothing for PE days, while still being in dress code. Proper clothing is essential for safety, participation, and individual achievement. Jewelry shall not be worn to PE if it presents a safety hazard to self and/or others. This will also help to eliminate the possibility of lost or broken items. Daily participation will be at the discretion of the PE instructor and that will be the majority of the student's grade. The grades for this course are: M-mastery, S-satisfactory, N-needs improvement, and U-unsatisfactory. Thank you for your assistance in helping to make Jones Elementary PE program a successful and safe one for everyone involved.
- Excuse Note: If students cannot participate for a medical reason, a note from home will excuse him/her for that day. A doctor’s note is required if the student is to be excused for a period longer than a week. Students may be required to participate in class in an inactive capacity. Please make sure that the excuse has the student’s first and last name, date(s) to be excused, and reason for excuse.
Ways to get Physical Activity Outside of School
- Ask your child what they learned in PE today then have them tell you about it and demonstrate it.
- There are several parks and youth sports leagues around our school district.