Policy Code: 4316 Student Dress Code
The board believes that the dress and personal appearance of students greatly affect their academic performance and their
interaction with other students. The board requests that parents outfit their children in clothing that is conducive to learning.
Generally, dress and grooming standards as determined by the student and his or her parents will be deemed acceptable.
However, the board holds these expectations of all students:
1. Clothing and appearance must be age appropriate, not disruptive to the teaching- learning process and cannot be
provocative, indecent, vulgar or obscene.
2. Hats, sweatbands, bandannas, or sunglasses will not be worn inside the school buildings.
3. Shorts must be of adequate length to reach the ends of one's fingertips when the student is standing and the arms are
by one's sides.
4. Skirts and dresses must be no higher than three (3) inches above the top of the knee.
5. Clothing will not be allowed which promotes alcoholic beverages, tobacco or the use of controlled substances, depicts
violence, profanity, vulgarity or obscenity, is of a sexual nature, or is of a disruptive nature.
6. Shirts and blouses must cover the waist and midriff and go past the waistline. Tank tops or spaghetti-strap tops may not
be worn as an outer garment.
7. Footwear is required. Bedroom shoes are not allowed. Students in laboratory or shop environments must wear closed-
toe shoes. Students in physical education classes must wear athletic shoes. Shoes that have laces must be laced and tied.
8. Clothing is not to be sheer or mesh and cannot have excessive holes.
9. Undergarments are not to be visible.
10. Clothing must be worn appropriately (nothing inside-out or backwards, no rolled-up pant legs or unfastened bibbed
overalls, no sagging pants, belts must be buckled and worn at the waistline, etc.).
11. Clothing will not be allowed that is intentionally shredded or torn.
12. Tight clothing, such as knit pants, spandex bicycle/biker pants, or overly tight pants, is not allowed.
13. Students shall not wear clothing articles with the intent to convey membership or affiliation in a gang.